Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Trifecta: Week Eighty-Five "Fly"

Trifectawritingchallenge.com

Trifecta is for everyone. Please join the fun!

We turn now to our weekly one-word prompt.  This week we are asking for a 33- to 333-word response using the word:

FLY (intransitive verb)
1a : to move in or pass through the air with wings

  b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space
  c : to float, wave, or soar in the air <flags flying at half-mast>
2a : to take flight : flee
  b : to fade and disappear : vanish
3a : to move, pass, or spread quickly <rumors were flying>  




The reaction I had when I got into the club must have been similar to that of the first Spanish Conquistador to witness a Native American’s ceremonial dance. I was shocked indeed! The place was completely packed. There was a raised stage and at the foot of the stage was a raucous crowd of people jumping up and down, coming down on each other in a violent way, like they were fighting to the death. Blood splatter was on some shirts and faces. “Slam Dancing!” Sarena screamed with explanatory exclamation, but also as if to be asking me to the dance floor. This was nothing that I wanted to participate in, I had been slam danced quite enough already, thank you very much! The love birds, at this point, were still with me. Then, Tom-Tom says, “Hey Shawn, put this in your mouth, but don’t swallow it, just keep it on your tongue.” And so I did. He and Sarena laughed, and I apprehensively did too. After a short while, they disappeared into the crowd.

Then, as I stood by myself, shit started to get very strange. The room went from an inanimate large area from which to contain a party, to a living creature, breathing deeply off beat. Its walls, floors and ceilings moved inward then out and inward then out. It was overly crowded and the people who surrounded me were now so close, as if to actually make contact with my eyeballs. They looked at me with suspicious evil eyes and wildly sweet smiles. They bumped into me and rambunctiously moved around me like multi-ball action from a pinball machine. They also seemed to have become a single, living being, like red blood cells moving under a microscope; a tiny part of a whole beast. I felt like a mouse, dropped by the tail into a pit of hungry lions. I had to leave, in my state of mind, this place would just not fly.
*This is a section of a story that I have been writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment