Thursday, January 23, 2014

Trifexta Week 110 - Lovers Illuminate

Join in on the creativity! Click here!

This weeks Challenge is:

QUAINT (adjective)

1:  obsolete:  EXPERT, SKILLED
2a:  marked by skillful design <quaint with many a device in India ink — Herman Melville>
  b:  marked by beauty or elegance
3a : unusual or different in character or appearance :  ODD
  b : pleasingly or strikingly old-fashioned or unfamiliar <a quaint phrase>

Remember:
• Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
• You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
• The word itself needs to be included in your response.
• You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.
• Only one entry per writer.
• If your post doesn't meet our requirements, please leave your link in the comments section, not in the linkz.

After realizing my first published submission (way up in the line) used the word improperly, I erased it and pretty much forgot about it. And then the lovely jowls of insomnia left me pitter pattering away at my insomniac machine and a new entry arose. I hope you like it. Better late than never, right?


Lovers Illuminate


It isn’t much different than I last remembered it to be. The sounds of the gulls, the deep, powerful breaths of the ocean, even the scents of sweet kettle corn, still, after all of these years, remain. My smile grows with the rise of wind-took kites, as they sail beyond the sparse cloud cover and I blink, so every flash of color and every detail of their flight is fresh to my eye, just like we used to see them. Such glorious serenity!

The boardwalk was always a place for congregation, even all of those years ago. It’s where I met him, you know? Right near where that same lone light post separates those two, once wooden, now metal benches. Wood deteriorates, you know? Metal, well I guess it can last, might get a smidge rusty, but it’ll be there years and years from now. Undoubtedly though, the two lonely benches will forever need a light post for romantic night’s snuggled warm with your lover. Lover. It has such a wondrous ring to it, the word, doesn’t it? Sixty-eight years, I had one of them.

The lives we lived, will live on in our extended family. We had only one child, but she proved to be quite productive; happy. Her family was large and gave us the blessings of nine grandchildren. They’ve all grown now, and at last count, which still flutters my heart to this very day, is twenty-three great-grandchildren. Every moment of life has been grand.

Well, I bess try making it over to the lamp post before my back tells me to stop, it’s just right over there, you see? It’s what we both agreed upon, he’ll have to wait for me for a time. I’ve carried this jar from Rochester, can’t stop now. We’ll both be scattered under that lamp, don’t you know? The different, but soon-to-be more quaint benches, will forever need a light post for romantic night’s snuggled warm with lovers. Forever lovers, Eduardo and Leona, illuminated.

7 comments:

  1. This is sweet. Sure, it's sad that he's gone, but I think in time they will be together again. I like the idea of love that isn't parted by death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is infinite. Thank you for noticing my submission and offering kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, Shawn! I really liked the sound of him 'relating' this.

    If you don't mind my saying so, I think the first paragraph needs the same voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I fought with that one, I thought I changed it to convey proper flow. The whole converseation is supposed to be the voice of the widow speaking to a stranger. Comments like yours is the reason I like I like this challenge. Actual honest and constructive critique gives good quality tips and I appreciate that! Thanks Kymm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!Love how you show us a life filled with love and the ending-ooh-too good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the voice change suggestion. I love the ending of this. Thanks for linking up, Shawn.

    ReplyDelete