Saturday, September 14, 2013

Trifextra Eighty-Five

Trifectwritingchallenge.com weekend challenge is to use the apostrophe. With the kind of week I have had, I welcomed this, seemingly easy challenge.

I am posting now, just in case you don't want to read about it's inspiration, which follows my submission.


 
An hour’s passing minute’s slip carelessly o’er the enclosure of Pretty’s brief, but needed rest.

Her bluest eyes look as an ocean’s swirl full.

My hazel’s look hopeful, my voice’s calm brings relief.


It seems like this life thingy has really been pushing my emotions, self-endurance, strength and ability to accept thing the way they come, full with force. If it were not for these ever so important qualities I possess, I know not how I'd overcome some of the shit I have.

Who likes to read about depressing crap, when they too might be struggling with their own depression? The following story is the inspiration for my submission into this weekends challenge. I know, it is depressing, read on if you can handle it. I am only now coming to grips with the severity of the incident, myself.

So, our lease was up and we spent all of the prior week moving. Boxes, furniture, the normal stuff you do when you move. We worked especially hard one of the days and during our break, decided to move the sofa into it's place. An area rug needed to go under the sofa, so we lifted the sofa, placed the rug and set the sofa down.

We went on and continued doing what you continue doing while you're moving into a new place.

The love's of my life, my children, my family, are my 5 dogs. One, whose name is Pretty, is my baby. She sleeps, snuggled next to me, every single night, and has since she was weaned. She was missing! We noticed about 15 minutes after we moved the sofa. We searched every nick and cranny of the new place and couldn't find her. We searched the yard and didn't find her, but did find an area where, technically, she could jimmy herself through. 

I freaked out crying and calling her name, combing the several block radius near our house. We didn't find her. I was heart-broken.

As I was composing a posting for Craigslist under the 'lost and found' section, I heard a whimpering coming from under the sofa. It was she!

We lifted the sofa and she came out wagging her tail and happy. It seemed like she must have gotten lucky and been trapped at the right spot under the sofa, where it is hollow, with a thin covering at the bottom. I was relieved!

We went to sleep and awoke to find a terrible outcome. Pretty was dragging her back legs behind her. I rushed her to the ER and it was found that a disc in her spine had slipped and was pinching her spinal cord causing paralysis. As you can imagine, my reaction was one a parent might have after finding out that their daughter had been paralyzed in a car accident.

There is a surgery that can be performed, but the numbers for success are low, as are the numbers of my bank account. We do have a 50/50 chance that she will regain mobility. Through rest, medication and expelling urine from her bladder, which I do myself, she has a chance.

She has been ordered to remain in her crate so she can't try to move. It is disheartening to see her in there, alone and scared. I have been at her side during the whole time and am keeping as positive of an attitude that I can on her complete recovery. I am also quite aware of the lifestyle change we will go through if she remains unable to move.

We have been blessed by a complete stranger for a wheelchair, free of charge, should she need one. I have been overwhelmed by the human kindness and compassion of everyone involved in this ordeal.

Either way, Pretty will be ok.Thank you for reading this mini-novel, I just felt moved to include it with my entry.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Shawn.I'm sorry about Pretty's accident and paralysis. Pets are so vulnerable, aren't they? They depend on us so.

    She has found such love and compassion in your home and heart. She knows how much you love her.

    I shall send up positive thoughts for her full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The positivity is coming from around the globe thanks to the internet. everyone HAS SHOWN KINDNESS AND SUPPORT, WHICH I truly appreciate.
      She is not sure why she can't move her legs, which is hard to see, but optimism will save the day!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you included the added piece, it really makes the Trifecta response that much more meaningful. I'm sorry that accident happened. I hope the paralysis isn't permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unsure if I should go into the sad story, but I'm glad I did and I'm happy that you thought it was important. I hope it isn't permanent either, but she has already had a wheelchair donated, just in case. Life will be good, either way the pendulum of destiny decides to swing ;) Thank you for support!

      Delete
  3. ohmy goodness! I hope your beautiful dog makes a full recovery soon. best of luck to you. that is a difficult thing for any pet owner to go thru. so sorry. =(

    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and it's much less difficult of an ordeal having people like you, send well wishes from the wires of technology. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. That's a tough one. Good luck and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It is tough, but is 'tis nothing that a little TLC can't mend.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about Pretty, but how lucky is she to have you for a family? Sending thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a dog lover, this just hurts my heart. Sending Pretty good vibes for a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete