Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Trifecta: Ninety-One

Trifectawritingchallenge.com

The word this week is "Brand".  The third definition is to be left with a mark, as a rancher would brand his herd.





Inching toward the opened door, I crawled with eager, my hands and knees on the floor. Slowly I moved, silently, in pain. Pulling myself along, quiet, as not to wake him, safety, was but a mere few feet away. Drops of sweat trickled from my scalp, down my forehead and stung my eyes; the sting of sweet revenge felt good.  

Movement!

I lay, still, in wait. A moment of assurance for his continued deep slumber, so desperately needed for a clean escape. His awakening would ruin any chance of flight. Just as I reclaimed my crawl, his arm flew over the side of my bed and dangled, a landmine trip, in front of my face.

Close call!

A still silence, again, filled the room. I was afforded more time and closer I moved toward a final departure. I maneuvered my body through liberty’s freedom door and out of his sights. I brought myself up and I stood. My private, sacred spot, ached and hurt. My body was missing a part; I could tell when I walked. My nightgown torn and spotted with blood, yet another reminder of the night before this day. Grandpa took from me what didn’t belong to him and left, in its’ place, a brand, like no other.

So it came to pass, I walked over to the cabinet and looked through the glass. I took the key, from its hiding place and turned it, opening, full with grace, a sure escape from any further disgrace. I removed the big one, it would do; confident with retaliation, I walked back to my room.

I cleared my throat, loud so he’d wake. He needed to see the consequences of his big mistake. When his head rose, high with surprise, I held his repayment higher, right between the eyes. “You hurt me!” I demanded, and with that, moved the double barrel pointed right between his thighs.

“Oh, baby!” Grandpa cried.

I pulled the trigger and hurt him, right where he hurt me.

11 comments:

  1. oh man. this was hard to read, it was very vivid. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret not posting a warning of graphic content on this one.

      I am working on another project, where I am writing about molestation. It is a hard thing to think of and my writing can be graphic. I take your frowny face as a compliment to the descriptive nature of my writings. If something read, brings emotion with it, is it not something worth reading?

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. A revenge well-deserved. Nice build-up of the tension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was difficult to read, but the ending is definitely worth it.
    Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome. This kind of story is never easy to read. It was just as difficult to write, but I'm glad I did. I fought with this one over whether or not to post it. I've commented a link that I found today, I hope you will give it a look/see. Peace, love and happiness.

      Delete
  4. https://upworthy-production.s3.amazonaws.com/nugget/5213b97bd14286071a00b3f2/attachments/Gaiman.png

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo, Shawn. Some of the best writing is the hardest to read. Much more than revenge at the end of this piece I felt triumph-no matter what the cost-in taking one's life back! And I wish you all the best on your new writing project too!!

    ReplyDelete